Hello Parents and Families of St Pius X,
My name is Ms Juliet King and I am the social worker at St Pius X Catholic Primary School. I work on Monday’s and Wednesday’s between 9am and 3pm. You can contact me anytime by email on
If you would like me to engage with your child please talk to your child’s teacher or fill out the Social Work referral form.
Very briefly a social worker...
- Assists and supports students where social and emotional issues may be impacting on their learning.
- Can provide counselling for students as part of the schools pastoral care program.
- Works closely with school staff whilst respecting families and students privacy.
- Will refer students/families to outside counsellors/professionals as required or requested.
- Can provide information on community resources.
- Supports the religious values of the Catholic School Community
- There is no cost to parents for the school social work service.
- Many issues can take some time to resolve and cannot be ‘fixed’ overnight.
- Discussions and any records made are considered as private and treated confidentially. Any discussions with other school staff will only be as required for the student’s welfare.
I look forward to assisting your children to thrive in the school environment and making their school experience be the best it can be.
Latest info can be highlighted here, than added to the archives below.
On Tuesday night I went to a parenting workshop on Systems, Routines and Discipline. The workshop was presented by Claire Orange who is the resident parenting expert on Channel 9 and 6PR.
Introducing Highway Heros
Understanding Social and Emotional Learning
Today is eSafety day so I would like to point you in the direction of some resources and information that might be helpful in navigating the overwhelming minefield that is the internet.
Why does Bullying Occur?
Bullying behaviour can arise from distrust, fear, misunderstanding, lack of knowledge or jealousy - all factors that schools can address in positive and proactive ways.
According to the University of Michigan here are some potential causes (apart from trying to irritate parents)
Hello again parents of St Pius!
Over the last couple of weeks I have been chatting to my social work colleagues about something called Executive Functioning (or as I like to call it how to get kids to get dressed, brush their teeth AND remember their library book).
Child Development – a quick overview and some tips
Hello again parents,
I thought I would go back to basics and provide you with a quick outline I found of ‘normal’ child development for primary school aged children and some ideas about how we can best support them through the ages and stages. Yes I can sense some eyes glazing over but bear with me it might be helpful one day. Having some information about what kids are dealing with and going through might help us understand and deal with some of those ‘frustrating’ behaviours. Some knowledge of social and emotional development may provide greater wisdom and more appropriate responses and consequences However, do not move the goal posts in regards to what is acceptable behaviour and what is not in terms of behaviour.